Fantastic Four” director Josh Trank won’t be journeying to the “Star Wars” universe after all. In a statement posted Friday on StarWars.com, the director explained that he’s made “a personal decision to move forward on a different path,” and will instead focus on developing original properties.
Trank was officially revealed last June to be directing a standalone “Star Wars” movie, which have since officially been titled “Anthology” films — set in the same continuity as the trilogies, yet telling separate stories. Though no details were yet revealed on Trank’s , it’s said that Disney and Lucasfilm will continue to develop the project despite his departure.
The director was scheduled to speak, alongside “Star Wars: One” director Gareth Edwards, at a panel dedicated to the Anthology films last month at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, but did not appear due to a reported illness. Trank’s “Fantastic Four” is scheduled for release on Aug. 7; a sequel has already been scheduled for June 9, 2017, though there’s no word yet on if Trank will return.
Here’s his statement in full:
After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I’m making a personal decision to move forward on a different path. I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities. That said, the Star Wars universe has always been one of my biggest influences, and I couldn’t be more excited to witness its future alongside my millions of fellow Star Wars fans. I want to thank my friends Kathleen Kennedy, Kiri Hart, Simon Kinberg, and everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney for the amazing opportunity to have been a part of this. May the Force be with you all.
Lucasfilm VP of Development Kiri Hart added: “It was a privilege to collaborate with Josh. We are grateful for the energy and love of Star Wars that he brought to the process, and we wish him all the best.”
Source : CBR